Back in December I completed a couple of UI Art Tests for a couple social game companies. It's been a while, but I figured I'd share one of them since I believe it shows a good breakdown of how I go about exploring and finding familiarity through the design process.
So the quickie version of the brief - take an existing design for one product (a social game item description), and find a way to better organize the information and immerse the user in a hypothetical "pirate" themed version of the product.
Below you'll find my proposed solution to the task. I attempted to make the design as frictionless as possible and infuse a good dose of textures into the overall aesthetic to set it apart from the other more typical "candy/cute" looking social games. Overall I spent about a day or two working through and creating these mock-ups, it felt it was a great exercise.